The Great Running Debate

Foot strike: what is the best way to run? There is a lot of chatter on the internet about what the "right" way to run is but in my opinion there is no right or wrong way to run. I say do whatever you feel comfortable with. Here are the three most popular ways of running and foot strike, my favorite and why.

Heel Strike 

Image result for heel strike
pic:google.
    
In the heal strike method the runner focuses on landing on the heal and pushing off with their toe. This is my preferred method of running especially when sprinting. I struggle with shin splints and this helps. A lot of people shy away from this method because this can be dangerous when barefoot running due to the fact that there is not enough cushion in the heal naturally.

    

Mid Foot Strike

Image result for midfoot strike diagram
pic google
    
Mid foot strike is landing softly and evenly on your foot. Barefoot runners tend to lean more towards this style of running. I occasionally use this when going long distances when it's harder to focus on form. A lot of runner say this is the best method of running, although I disagree.

    

Toe Strike

Image result for toe strike diagram
pic. google
    
Toe strike, in which the runner lands on the ball and toes of the foot, is my least favorite. I don't like this way of running at all because it hurts my shins and feet. I personally don't see an advantage to this way of running.

    

How do you run?
Happy running

Comments

  1. Great post! Very interesting. Next time I run I will definitely consider all the methods and try to figure out what works best for me. Thanks for laying it all out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts